Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Jobs


I have felt a lot of guilt over the years - some self-inflicted, some as a result of comments thrown out by friends - over my choice of job. My career.

And it's caused me some heartache. I let it reach me in my core and make me doubt where I was and what I was doing. Even more importantly WHY I was doing it. It never felt legitimate. It always felt like I was selling out, being second-rate, or somehow not doing something as important as "making art." However one wants to define that ...

(Though in these past few years, I have grown in confidence and know now I've always been creating art, sending out messages: being "creative." But it took me a while to get there and feel comfortable with it. Confident in it.)

But then, from time to time I find bits of quotes that remind me exactly WHY I have chosen the path I have, like this one:

Do you have any advice for people just entering the profession?
Be a great storyteller and the world will be yours. - Andy Greenaway


I've always loved stories, I just choose to tell mine in a non-conventional way - and I'm happy that I'm finally coming to peace with that.

P.S. If you're interested in one of my career-heroes - click here and read an interview with Milton Glaser

No comments: