Thursday, December 27, 2007

New Year, New Beginnings

So, it's been a crazy month or so. Sam and I returned from our trip to Asia exhausted, excited and renewed. I found out my job is being transferred of sorts to a new part of the company (a good, awesome part of it - whereas now I work in a part that just doesn't on a very basic level understand what I do, I'll be in a place that not just gets it - but VALUES it) and decided if ever I should be happy with my job it was now -

And so I went into my boss, told her what I know I'm worth and asked ever so politely that if she could work it out - title and compensation, I would stay. Otherwise I would give my two weeks in the coming year.

Within the week I was told it would happen - and while I'm not counting my chickens, things look very good for my professional life come January 2008.

Sam's job, is of course stellar, and he's being rewarded properly for it as well, giving us yet another reason to enjoy the city yet another year.

It seems, just when I think we'll go - something happens to make us stay.I'm not sure how it happens, but it always does. This city has truly become home to me, and I can't say I'm disappointed we're here for another year or so. Sitting in Montana watching "Elf" with Sam's family, all I could think was how much I missed my city all dressed up for the season, the energy that permeates this place unlike any other time of year . . .

And speaking of Montana, it was lovely. I got horribly sick, and wish I hadn't. But I did what I could to soldier through (though I did a lousy job of that). Regardless, it was three-plus days with family - lots of laughing, talking and eating - just like the holidays are supposed to be. I don't think I'll ever get used to not seeing my mom and dad over the holidays - but Sam's family is always so wonderful to me while I'm there it all but makes up.

And now we're home. Sam's at work and I'm sitting here surrounded by kleenex watching daytime tv and loving the fact I get this week off every year. Home, now, I feel worlds better and have no doubt that by early next week I'll be set and good as new.

I hope you all had wonderful holidays. It's crazy to me yet another year has flown by, but I guess I shoudl save that entry for new years. . .

1 comment:

Skye said...

What a long strange trip it's been, eh? ;)

I am very glad that you had the guts to ask for what you wanted at work, and look - you got it! Inspirational!

If that invitation was in all seriousness the other day, I would THRILL to come and walk the city and museum-gaze and sketch while you guys worked, and then sit and talk about life and choices and happy days every evening. I would need to get my ducks in a row and earn enough money to come, but maybe just before summer? Let's email, ok!