Monday, April 30, 2007

Beautifully Written

" . . . .We do not rely solely upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason. We may differ on many things, but what we respect is free inquiry, openmindedness, and the pursuit of ideas for their own sake.

. . .We are not immune to the lure of wonder and mystery and awe: we have music and art and literature, and find that the serious ethical dilemmas are better handled by Shakespeare and Tolstoy and Schiller and Dostoyevsky and George Eliot than in the mythical morality tales of the holy books. Literature, not scripture, sustains the mind and—since there is no other metaphor—also the soul. "
- Slate: God is Not Great

Go read it, I agree wholly with what Sam said about it - "I could not have written it better."

For anyone who wonder what spirituality is like in our home, or what the Church of Sam must be like, I figure this is a good introduction.

I'd love to hear what you think of it. . .

2 comments:

Jen said...

It always seems to me like an easy answer to rule out 'God' behind the unknown. I respect that other people don't believe - or believe differently - but I enjoy the wonders of life knowing I could never, ever have been able to create it - by chance, time or creativity.

I believe God is behind everything - He just left it to us to do what we will. Articles like that are cleverly written, but don't offend me, they remind me why I disagree.

Peace and love. ;)

~m said...

Well, the best kinds of friends are the one you can talk to without feeling like you'll step on toes.

What's funny is our home is certainly not godless, per say. I, in fact, believe in MANY gods. :)

What I personally agree about in this article is the idea of organized religion really robbing individual thought and examination, or making contradictory thought worth less. Sadly, I think as soon as religion became a power and not a spiritual path, it defeated it's own purpose . . ..

xo
:)
m