Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Cowboy, Take Me Away


The last time I slept in a tent was 1987. It was on a school trip and I have no real memories of liking it or disliking it - mostly because I'm sure the fact I was not AT HOME, but states away with all my best friends and the guy I'm sure I had some sort of mad crush on, made everything super cool back then.

SO when we first planned this trip to Maine I was, while excited, a bit trepidatious. Ya'll. I married a man who LOVES to camp. Who loves the outdoors and hiking and dirt and fishing and tents and who doesn't even mind having to pee in the woods.

I still wasn't totally sold on any of it, quite frankly.

But, one lesson I have learned over the past few years with Sam is that no matter how uninterested I am in something - if he loves it, that something takes on a whole new meaning. I suddenly find myself listening more intently, pay attention a bit more carefully - and dare I say actually enjoying from time to time . . . and while I was skeptical about this whole crazy sleeping in a tent thing, I was willing to try it for just this reason.

And let me tell you - I LOVED it.

I don’t know if it was the killer view of Sennebac Lake. Or perhaps that our tent rested beneath a copse of cathedral pines . . .


Maybe it was the bald eagle that flew over us as we canoed the lake at dusk, or the tiny bats that swirled over our heads as we sat before the fire . . .


Or maybe it was just that this city girl was ready for some peace and quiet. Some simple, easy living. I don’t know.


What I do know is that there's no place I'm happier than out in wild open space with my husband, just the two of us.


I'm already shopping for camping equipment and begging for us to plan our next weekend out in the wild. Not to mention ready to trade in our current silver skyline for some green . . . I can't wait for ur next trip. This trip was even a bit fancy, some nice restaurants thrown in - and of course, there was Lobster Fest as our grand finale . . . But next time I'm ready to hunker down for a weekend away, truly. For hot dogs over the fire. For hiking and roasting marshmellows and peanut butter sandwiches.

For real camping. For a tent in the trees in the middle of no where. Just us.

I wanna be the only one
For miles and miles
Except for maybe you
And your simple smile

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sooo very cool to see you and Sam getting "It on" in the woods. Being outdoors and connected to nature will do more for your health and general wellbeing than anything else you can do. Love you guys! ~SS